Spiced Pecans, oh my!
This is probably my favorite holiday treat for Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas… whatever winter celebration is in the calendar. It’s not vegan, or sugar-free, but oh, my, are these pecans the bomb! Also, they keep very well in sealed containers, and make great gifts (if there are any left).
For each 8 oz of whole pecans, you’ll need
One egg white with a pinch of cream of tartar
1/4 to 1/3 cup organic sugar
3/4 tsp salt (or to taste, balancing the sweet and spicy flavors)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp Jamaican allspice
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil — two if you making more than 12oz pecans. You’ll want enough room to spread the nuts in a single layer.
2. Mix the sugar, salt, and spices; taste and adjust until it’s the right balance of salt, sweet, and spicy.
3. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg white(s) until soft peaks are formed.
4. Toss the pecans in the egg whites until thoroughly coated. Add the sugar mixture in several batches, constantly turning the nuts until evenly covered in egg whites and spices.
5. Spread the nuts out in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet(s).
6. Bake for two hours or so at 300°F, turning every 30 minutes, until the pecans are crunchy. Keep moving the pecans on the pan(s), as otherwise they will stick.
7. Take out of the oven and allow to cool in their trays until room temperature. Store in airtight containers until ready to serve.
These go particularly well with an postprandial ‘wee dram’ of whiskey!