This recipe was passed on by our lovely neighbors in Santa Barbara. They have moved on, and we have moved on, but spiced pecans remain… well, until your friends all find out how delicious they are. After that, storage is not a problem!
This recipe takes ten minutes to prepare, followed by two hours in a slow oven.
1 tsp cold water
1 egg white
1 lb large pecans (4 cups)
1 cup organic light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Chinese five spices
1 Tbsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 250°F (95°C).
2. Line a flat baking tray with foil. Spread out the pecans on the tray.
3. Mix the sugar, salt, and spices in a bowl; taste and adjust until it’s the right balance of salt, spice, and sweet.
4. Beat the water and egg white until frothy or in soft peaks. Pour onto the pecans and mix until all the pecans are coated.
5. Sprinkle the pecans with the sugar mixture, turning the nuts over until thoroughly coated. Spread out on the baking sheet for maximum exposure
6. Bake at 250°F (95°C).for 1½ to two hours. Stir or turn every 20 minutes. You’ll know they are done when the nuts are crunchy and the whole house smells of sugar and spice.