8 oz graham crackers, reduced to crumbs
8 oz triple ginger snaps (from Trader Joe’s, or equivalent), reduced to crumbs
4 oz (one stick) unsalted butter, melted, or 4 oz vegan spread
8 oz or half of a Trader Joe’s Pound Plus bar of 72% Belgian chocolate
¾ cup organic sugar or erythritol sweetener
2 large eggs
One cup – about 1/2 packet – silken tofu
¼ tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp ground ginger
Topping: 4 oz finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil one 9” springform pan.
- Combine crumbs and melted butter (or vegan spread). Press evenly into bottom and sides of pan. Bake for 20 minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool while you make filling.
- Warm the chocolate in a double-boiler until just melted; stir until smooth.
- Add all the filling ingredients (including chocolate) to a food processor and blend until smooth. (You can also use a handheld mixer or stick beater). Pour onto the baked crust and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the edges are puffy with the center is barely firm.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chopped crystallized ginger around the edge. Place tart (still in the pan) on a rack to cool.
- When fully cool, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Take out of the fridge and remove the pan edges an hour before serving.
- Serve at room temperature, cut in thin wedges; if desired, pass a bowl of whipped cream or vegan whipped cream as a garnish.
Printable recipe HERE.