Cake with Three Kinds of Apple
This recipe is delicious; the three different types of apple make a wonderfully rounded flavor. This cake is vegan, sugar-free, and made without oil or flour. It’s a little fragile when warm, but firms up nicely when cold.
Prep takes 15 minutes, and 30-55 minutes baking time; this quantity makes a 9” square cake, providing 8-9 servings.
4 cups thinly sliced apples – three large apples
2 oz dried apple rings
1½ cup organic applesauce
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla powder or ½ tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 Tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and line a 9 x 9 pan with baking parchment, or use a silicone pan.
2. Place all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until fully combined; it can be easier is to pull on food-grade gloves and mix the batter by hand.
3. Scrape into the baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top feels springy when pressed in the middle.
4. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. When completely cold, cover tightly in plastic wrap.
5. The cake will keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Download the printer-friendly .pdf file HERE.