Vegan Glazed Scallops
2 Tbsp white miso, or whatever miso you have on hand
3 Tbsp mirin (or sweet sherry)
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp ginger, finely grated
1 tsp sugar
¼ cup water
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 juice of one lime or lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lb thin Japanese eggplants, sliced crossways
1. Peel your eggplants and slice into 1½ inch disks. Make a crisscross pattern with a sharp knife in the cut sides on the eggplant on both sides.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the miso, water, mirin, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, grated ginger, sugar, and sesame oil.
3. Over a medium high flame, heat a heavy skillet big enough to contain the eggplant disks in one layer. Pour in the sauce and swirl. Place the eggplant disks in the pan in one layer and cover with a lid. Allow to cook until the eggplant is just tender but not falling apart – about 6-8 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and flip the eggplant slices with a spatula. Continue over the heat until the sauce is mostly evaporated to a rich glaze.
5. Remove from the heat. Juice your lime into a bowl with the minced garlic and pour over the “scallops”. Serve prettily arranged on a platter.
And HERE is the printer-friendly .pdf file.