Even when I make a carnivorous holiday dinner, such as for Passover, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, I like to offer a vegetarian or vegan main course for those who prefer not to eat meat. This makes a great party dish as well, especially if you use medium-sized Crimini mushrooms rather that the larger Portobello ones. Although I personally use an egg to bind the filling, and cheese for the topping, this recipe can certainly be made vegan by omitting the egg and using chopped nuts and/or breadcrumbs for the topping.
Prep time is about 30 minutes and baking time is 45 minutes; this recipe makes one baking tray or 16-18 mushrooms. You can make a similar filling for big Portobellos – simply cook them ten minutes longer.
1 lb good-sized brown (Crimini) mushrooms; trim the edges, remove the stalks, and chop to use for the filling
For the filling:
Mushroom stalks, halved and chopped fine
1 small onion, finely diced
2 slices of bread, reduced to crumbs
½ packet silken tofu, mashed with the back of a fork
1 large egg (if desired)
Tamari (soy sauce), sea salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp fresh dill or tarragon, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Olive oil to prepare the filling and to brush on the mushroom caps
Topping: Crumbled blue cheese, or 2 oz crushed pecans, or a combination of chopped nuts and breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil, and carefully oil the backs of the mushroom caps. Space the mushrooms on the baking sheet.
3. Over medium heat, sauté the onions in a drop of olive oil for about ten minutes until soft and transparent. Add the chopped mushroom stems; add more oil if required, and turn frequently until cooked through. Add the tofu, egg, and fresh herbs to the mushrooms; mix well, and add tamari, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Divide the filling amongst the mushroom caps – there should be just enough to fill each one generously. Sprinkle with cheese or chopped nuts and breadcrumbs.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or so until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese has melted.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
HERE is the .pdf file if you want to print it up.