Sweet Onion Tarts
This is an impressive dish for a dinner party, and can be scaled up for a potluck dish. If you caramelize the onions in the background while working on the pastry, the final dish comes together quite quickly and easily. These tarts are vegan and gluten-free (if you can find gluten-free frozen puff pastry); prep takes about ten minutes, caramelizing takes 30 minutes, baking time is 12-15 minutes. This quantity makes four tarts.
1 sheet Vegan puff pastry
2 brown onions
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
A bunch of fresh thyme, with stems stripped out.
4 Tbsp Toffuti Better Than Cream Cheese (or other vegan cream cheese)
2 tsp coconut sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Slice the onions quite thickly and place in a pan with oil and salt over very low heat. Cook the onions for about 20 minutes, making sure they don’t catch. Add a Tbsp of broth if the onions look likely to scorch.
3. Add a tablespoon of balsamic glaze and coconut sugar. Continue cooking until soft and brown, about another ten minutes or so.
4. While the onions are cooking prepare the pastry. Cut pastry into 4 circles. Cut a smaller circle about a cm from the edge, without cutting all the way through. This will help the pastry rise around the onions.w
5. Place the cooked onions in the inner circle of your pastries and sprinkle with half the thyme. Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until nice and golden.
6. Let the tarts cool slightly and spread with a generous tablespoon of vegan cream cheese per tart.
7. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and scatter with thyme.
8. Sprinkle with good quality salt flakes and serve warm.
Click HERE for the printer-friendly version.