Zucchini & Potato Tots
To be honest, I don’t much care for commercial tater tots – they taste like plastic. But this recipe is vegan, and is lighter in texture and flavor than tater tots. They’re also easier to make than potato gnocchi, and just as tasty.
Prep time is 60 minutes, total cooking time 90 minutes; this quantity serves 6-8 people, depending on what else you’re serving.
3 large russet potatoes, peeled
2 zucchinis, about 2-3 cups shredded
1½ tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
Olive oil as required
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to the boil and cook potatoes for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender but with some give in the middle. Drain, and let potatoes cool until they are comfortable to handle. You do want them to still be warm and solid enough to grate.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, grate the zucchini, and squeeze out extra liquid using a clean kitchen towel.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F.
4. Grate the potatoes on the large side of a box grater and put into a large bowl. Place grated zucchini into the bowl with the potatoes and add 1½ teaspoons salt (or to taste). Use your hands to mix everything together.
5. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to form small cylinders with the mixture, with about one tablespoon per tater tot. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow them to firm up.
6. Brush the top of each tater tot with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle each one with salt. Bake tater tots until browned and crispy, about 15 minutes, flip them over, and bake for another 15 minutes.
7. Serve hot, with a savory sauce if desired.
And HERE is the printer-friendly .pdf file.