Vegan Buttercream Icing/Frosting
These are all vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, and surprisingly tasty! In each case, the quantity will make enough to dress one 7” cake in two layers. Multiply x 1.5 for two 8″ layers, or double for two 10″ layers.
Sweet Potato Buttercream – which tastes much better than it sounds.
2 medium sweet potatoes, steamed and pureed, OR one 15 oz tin sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp maple syrup, or other preferred sweetener
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Use your preferred method to cook and puree the sweet potatoes – or open the tin!
2. Mix all ingredients and beat until perfectly smooth.
3. Set aside for one hour to allow the buttercream to stiffen slightly.
4. Spread half the buttercream between the layers of your cake, and use the rest for the sides and/or top.
Cashew Chocolate Buttercream
2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight in cold water, or for 15 minutes in hot water
1 oz cocoa butter
2 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
½ cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant milk
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Generous pinch of salt
1. Drain soaked cashews and add to a food processor or blender along with all the other ingredients.
2. Process until completely smooth.
3. Taste and adjust flavor until it is balanced between salt, sweetness, and chocolate.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and place in the fridge to harden slightly before using it to fill and ice the cake.
‘Cream Cheese’ Buttercream
One 14/15 oz tin full fat coconut cream
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Tbsp maple syrup, or other preferred sweetener
½ tsp vanilla extract or flavoring
1. Keep the coconut cream in the fridge overnight so that the cream can separate out.
2. Open the tin upside down; the cream will be on the bottom, so pour off the watery bit on top and use it for soups or smoothies.
3. Place the thick creamy part in a bowl; add the other ingredients and use an electric beater to whip up the coconut cream until light and fluffy.
4. Set aside for one hour to allow the buttercream to stiffen slightly.
5. Spread half the buttercream between the layers of your cake, and use the rest for the sides and/or top.
And click HERE for the printable .pdf file.